top of page
CAMPS OF ORLEANS 1905-1988
Town of Orleans was one of the pioneers in the birth of summer children’s camps. In 1905 when Mrs. E. A. W. Hammatt established Quanset Sailing Camp for Girls and Rev. Gibson Bell established Portanimicut Sailing Camp for Boys on the shores of Little Pleasant Bay, they were among the first camps in the country. By the mid-1980’s more than 14 camps had existed in the Town of Orleans. They were Cheri, Cunningham, Lake Farm, Mayflower, Namequoit, Owaissa, Pleasant Bay, Sealore/ Seamaid, Spyglass Hill, Tonset and Viking. In 1988 the last camp closed, and an era ended.
The rest of this page is under construction.
Please check back later!
bottom of page